Chicagoland is no stranger to bone-chilling winters, where the temperatures plummet and the snow piles up. As winter descends upon the region, homeowners face a unique set of challenges, and one of the most frustrating of these is dealing with a garage door that freezes shut. Take a closer look at the reasons behind this problem and some practical solutions to ensure your winter is hassle-free.
Understand the Problem
Frozen garage doors are not an everyday occurrence, but when they happen to you, this can be incredibly frustrating. Chicagoland’s harsh winters and unique climate can occasionally conspire to create this issue, leaving you stranded with a door that won’t budge. Typically, several issues combine in a triple threat, leading to your frozen dilemma:
- Weather Conditions in Chicagoland. Chicagoland winters are notoriously harsh, marked by subfreezing temperatures and substantial snowfall. These extreme temperatures create the perfect recipe for garage door freezing.
- Moisture and Precipitation.Snow, sleet, and rain have a way of infiltrating various parts of your garage door. Over time, this moisture freezes, causing the door to stick shut.
- Poor Insulation.Inadequate insulation is another contributing factor. It allows cold air to penetrate, resulting in frost and ice buildup on your garage door.
Understanding the dynamics of a frozen garage door and knowing how to address it can make all the difference when winter’s icy grip takes hold.
Know What Not To Do
Know what not to do when dealing with a frozen garage door to avoid making the situation worse or causing damage. What should you avoid?
- Avoid Brute Force.It’s tempting to use sheer force to open a frozen garage door, but this is a recipe for disaster. Forcing the door open can damage the mechanism and result in costly repairs.
- Don’t Use Salt or Chemicals.Resist the urge to use salt or other chemicals to melt the ice. Salt can corrode metal parts, and some chemicals may harm the door’s finish.
By avoiding these actions, you’ll help prevent further damage to your garage door and maintain its integrity, ensuring a safer and more effective resolution.
Know What To Do
You can do a few key things when your garage door freezes shut:
- Inspect the Situation. Begin by assessing the situation by checking for visible ice and frost around the edges of the door.
- Use Warm Water.To gently melt the ice, pour warm (not hot) water along the door’s edges. Be patient during this process, as forcing it can lead to further issues.
- Try a Blow-Dryer.Using a blow-dryer is a viable method to address a frozen garage door when it’s stuck due to ice buildup. Move the dryer back and forth, gradually melting the ice.
If the above steps do not work, your best plan of attack is to call your local garage door experts. Getting professional help can protect your garage door from further damage.
Prevent Future Freezing
Short of relocating to Florida, regular maintenance is the key to keeping your Chicagoland garage door from freezing shut. Use the following methods:
- Regularly inspect your weatherstripping and replace it if necessary. Good weatherstripping acts as a barrier against the cold.
- Invest in better insulation to keep the garage’s temperature stable. Proper insulation significantly reduces the risk of freezing.
- Make it a habit to have a professional lubricate the moving parts of your garage door with a silicone-based lubricant. This simple step goes a long way in preventing ice buildup.
- Professional Inspection.Consider having a qualified technician inspect your garage door annually for vulnerabilities. They can identify hidden issues that might not be immediately apparent.
Dealing with a frozen garage door in Chicagoland is a common challenge during the winter months. However, with the right knowledge and maintenance practices, you can significantly reduce the risk of that inconvenience.
For professional assistance in addressing your garage door issues, including prevention and maintenance, contact Raynor Door Company today. Let us be your trusted partner in ensuring your winter is hassle-free.